Member Groups’ membership details are kept on BCS's central database and Member Groups can arrange for mailings to their members via the BCS List Server.
All member data must be handled in strict accordance with the BCS Information Security Policy Statement http://www.bcs.org/upload/pdf/information-security-policy-statement.pdf. Only Committee members who are professional members (MBCS/FBCS) of BCS may have access to BCS membership data, via the List Server subject to:
- An explanation of why access is necessary that is acceptable to the Member Group committee (i.e. no one has vetoed it)
- Confirmation that the person requesting access understands the Data Protection Act.
- Requests to use membership details should be sent to the Member Groups Team email@example.com
Where personal data about attendees is collected at, or for, an event it should not be passed on without the attendee’s approval. For example, if the speaker wishes to follow up with those attending they should get permission from those attending for them to do so.
Additional guidance on the treatment of Personal Data from members and attendees at events.
When collecting, using and securing items of personal data from members and/or event attendees/enquirers, two overriding principles must be applied:
- the data must be used only for the purpose(s) that were declared prior to its collection/elicitation;
- it is BCS policy that all data collected through an event booking/registration system (manual or electronic, central or local) shall be regarded as protected personal data unless otherwise declared to attendees/enquirers in advance (and effective opt-outs provided if necessary).
Particular care needs to be taken in circumstances when any of the attendees’ data may need to be shared with third parties, including: joint meetings;, sponsored events (especially if hosted on the sponsor’s premises); if it is intend to publish a delegates list; if it is intended to use the data to advertise other events or promotions; or for a speaker/sponsor to supply supplementary information.