Rules consultation - May 2014

The numbered entries below contain descriptions of the changes proposed in this consultation and links to the pages that contain proposed revisions to the rules.

You are invited to comment here regarding the approach taken and any areas you would like to see changed and on each linked page regarding the specific changes. On each linked page both the existing text and proposed changes in yellow are shown so that the difference can be seen without flicking between pages

  1. Finance rules changed to make the process for claiming expenses clearer volunteer.bcs.org/Rules_finance_c2
  2. Finance rules changed to say non BCS members are not able to claim expenses unless there are exceptional circumstances and they have got prior approval. Also at volunteer.bcs.org/Rules_finance_c2
  3. Removed "and accounts are available (in mid October)."as accounts are not essential volunteer.bcs.org/Rules_member_group_governance_meetings
  4. Clarification of Member Group Committee Roles. The document in section 2 of volunteer.bcs.org/Rules_committees is replaced by roles_committee_members.
  5. Additional guidance notes for MG Committees concerning the treatment of Personal Data from members and attendees at events at Rules_member_data_c
  6. Revisions governing the award of student prizes (this is at a high level to enable contributors to comment on objectives and the key changes) at Rules_student_prizes_consultation

The consultation will run from Monday 19th May until Friday 20th June 2014

Comments

expenses

I am concerned that the way 2 reads implies we will not be able to claim expenses for speakers at branch meetings.

Expenses for Speakers

Perhap in the light of other comments it needs to made clearer that that the rules and guidance apply to member group COMMITTEE members. A speaker claiming travel expenses to attend a meeting will not be a member of the committee.

Committee Roles

Peter,

The BCS L&D SG have found it useful to combine to have a role of Academic Liaison Officer (expressed in the consultation document as 'Education Liaison Officer'. Our 'Industry Liaison Officer' is more widely described as 'External Relations Officer'.

We have role profiles for all the mandatory roles and most of the recommended / optional roles. I will send them to you separately for consideration.

I should like to advocate that Secretary become a mandatory role, it is (in my view) of equal importance to that of Chair and Treasurer in the effective, efficient and smooth running of a Member Group.

Student Prizes

I'm not sure if I am understanding the proposal correctly as it states that we are wishing to promote and raise awareness of the BCS to educational establishments. However if the change that requires the establishment to have either Educational Affiliate membership (i.e. offers BCS accredited courses), Organisational Membership or A Student Chapter, then surely they are already an aware organisation.

We at the manchester

We at the manchester committeee did want to see prizes awarded to FE colleges, so it is good to see this change.
Central administration of the budget - would make it easier for our budgeting particularly for the membership part as its not known who shall win the prize till summer term.
I think though the nominations should be handled through the local branch so that it helps to build local relationships and for us to attend the prize giving where possible.
I also think that those criteria will exclude the very organisations we seek to engage with - we should keep the prizes to all educaiton establishments. Further I would liek to see prizes available across schools secondary and primary - perhaps a prize city or region wide.

Student Prizes

We at the manchester committeee did want to see prizes awarded to FE colleges, so it is good to see this change.
Central administration of the budget - would make it easier for our budgeting particularly for the membership part as its not known who shall win the prize till summer term.
I think though the nominations should be handled through the local branch so that it helps to build local relationships and for us to attend the prize giving where possible.
I also think that those criteria will exclude the very organisations we seek to engage with - we should keep the prizes to all educaiton establishments. Further I would liek to see prizes available across schools secondary and primary - perhaps a prize city or region wide.

Claiming expenses

As treasurer of an SG I do not like at all the way that the expenses system is going to be made not only even harder, but also more restrictive. We often have speakers that travel, and should legitimately have their travel expenses (amongst others) reimbursed. This policy appears to be worded to exclude such sensible and reasonable reimbursements. If this is the case I am completely against this wording. Moreover there are other expenses that do not involve people, and the requirement for prior approval seems to duplicate the effort not only of budget submissions by also SFRs.

I am still extremely unhappy

I am still extremely unhappy with this wording as it appears to be far too broad, and could unwarrantedly trap legitimate activities. It also introduces unnecessary paperwork, which I as a volunteer, have almost no time to do. Moreover persuading people to join the BCS has and should never have anything to do with expense claims, which smacks extremely unpleasantly of extortion: "join the BCS to get you expenses paid".

suggestions

I would like to suggest that in relation to personal data, committee members receive awareness training (as BCS staff do) of the Information Security Policy when they first become committee members and that there is an area in the secure part of the website where policies and guidance are kept for future reference (I can’t see anything currently other than the members' code of conduct).

Also on the subject of committee member roles, that the BCS promotes the role of Young Professional Group representative more so that wherever feasible this role is filled.

Rules Consultation - May 2014

I share comments raised by quite a few people:

1.The Expense Claim Process needs clarification - If a non-BCS member is invited as a speaker in a BCS venue, BCS should not refuse to pay his/her reasonable travel expense, which is expected to have been authorised and be paid for from the budget of the host SG/branch.

2.The Student Prize allocation needs rationalisation - I do not wish to support one student prize per university. With over 50 SGs and the same number of branches the student prizes need to be earmarked for the top students in a BCS related university subject. at a UK university, or overseas university if sponsored by a BCS overseas branch.

3.Finalised Accounts need to be made transparent to BCS members - They are essential for an AGM as an evidence of transparency to income and expenditure.

Kind regards,

Andy Moattari, BCS IRMA Comms & Social Network ​

Committe Rules

Peter, I was disappointed to see no mention of the Recording Officer role in the list of recommended committee roles. Given that a session of the Autumn Conference is being devoted to training recording officers, it appears inconsistent not to include this role within the recommended set.

As minor point, I question whether a separate webmaster role is still needed. Surely, this activity should be incorporated into the Publicity Officer role?

Admin & expenses

1. The comment that was submitted on Tue, 20/05/2014 at 20:26 that we who are volunteers need to keep paperwork to a minimum, for example with regard to expenses, is absolutely right in my view. I have to squeeze my activities into a very busy timetable and do so because I am passionate about the need for IT companies, places of education and the BCS to work with each other. We are likely to be deterred by any admin burden. I see this affecting teachers and doctors in my family. The same thing in a voluntary activity could discourage busy people from making the effort. Let's keep it light!

2. I agree that persuading people to join the BCS and expense claims should NEVER meet; we should never send out the message to prospective new members "join the BCS to get your expenses paid".

3. With regard to the comment submitted on Mon, 19/05/2014 at 19:52, we should I believe be permitted to pay expenses to visiting speakers if the budget allows.