How was the Membership Board formed?
The Membership Board and its committees took many of their initial priorities from the 2009 Member Group Working Party report.
It was the first board to be constituted following an open appointment process.
A committee was convened consisting of two Past Presidents, the Deputy President and members of the Interim Membership Board to undertake the difficult task of reviewing the nominations and assigning people to the Membership Board and/or one or more of its committees.
What does the role entail?
To help people understand the requirements and commitments for members of BCS Membership Board and its committees, guidance notes were published on the BCS website.
The actual workload of the committees has been somewhat higher than was envisaged in the guidance notes.
For example, the Best Practice Committee has been more active, especially around the time of Member Group Conventions, and the Finance Committee holds monthly conference calls to respond to funding requests.
How can I get involved?
Since the MB and its committees were set up in summer of 2010, with initial three-year terms, vacancies will start to occur in 2013.
As vacancies have occurred through resignation on the MB's committees, they have been advertised by email to member group committee members.
Several volunteers have been appointed to strengthen the committees and, recently, to set up the Recording and Broadcasting (R&B) Working Group.
So if you would like to get involved, watch this space for news of vacancies.
Or if you think there is a case for a new Best Practice Working Group, contact us and suggest it.
Process for filling vacancies
The process for advertising and selecting applicants is:
- The vacancy will be advertised by sending an email to Member Group Comittee members referring to the job description which will be posted on this portal.
- Those wishing to apply should send an application to the person advertising the vacancy. The application should include a brief career and BCS history, a covering letter explaining why they are applying and what they bring to the role and their contact details.
- A Membership Board sub committee will be set up by the chair comprising (chair of Membership Board, chair of the Committee with the vacancy and one person who is senior in the BCS volunteer community but not otherwise involved with the Membership Board. They will:
- Review applications
- Discuss applications with qualified candidates (and potentially interview them)
- Announce successful candidates and arrange for their induction